Luke, Gavin and I played with the Legos for 3 hours this morning... taking all of the blocks and pieces out of their old pringles cans, and trying to figure out what pieces we had/didn't have to the various sets I'd acquired at the young age of 4 back in Massachussetts.
Here's the fire station we built (the green board for it is in storage). I couldn't believe that each and every single piece of the set (Box 570, year: 1973)

What we could find of the "Brick Yard" (box #580, year 1975) with a police jail van thrown in for good measure).

We also started out Police Station (box #585, year 1975), but since I already bought a NIB (new in the box) set at an ebay auction last year for $50, it wasn't as critical an endeavor.
Here's Luke with our Lincoln Log creation:

And here's Luke helping build a skyscraper. He was really good at locking the girders together and even placing the panels on the front of each side of the building.




And to top it all off, I broke out the little pup-tent I used when I was like 10 years old with the Cub Scouts! They couldn't believe that "it has a window!!" They're all ready to go camping now!

All in all, I had the best day ever with my two boys. Luke had Thomas... Gavin has Garbage Trucks, but when I was a boy I had Legos, Lincoln Logs and Girders and Panels. Honestly, the toys pictured above had to be the favorite possessions I had growing up as a young boy, and to get them all back in an old box was awesome (the lego cans were all sitting in a 1976 "Tab" soda case!). To see the excitement in their eyes each time I brought out something new was priceless. Luke said it all as I was tucking him in tonight... "You know, Dad? I just don't know what to say... You have all the COOLEST toys. Why did it take you so long to share them with me?!?!?" He then told me how he was going to go to sleep and dream about all of Daddy's "cool toys" and that hopefully someday we can get them all out and play with them again.
4 comments:
Lukey's comments totally made my eyes well up with tears. Man, I'm a sap. How cool that your Mom kept all that for you! In a TAB box nonetheless! LOL! Camping will be awesome! We should plan a big family camping trip with ALL the kids! Wait...is that a suicide mission? Probably!
Very sweet morning! Thanks for sharing it with us!
Wow Bri, that was awesome, thank you for sharing that with us all.... what a great way to end a fabulous weekend! I too got tears when I read Lukey's comments. I am always up for a camping trip! I have the tent trailer! Woo Hoo!
Love you all! Mom/Beth/Grandmas
Awwww. That's so sweet, Brian! AND I had no idea they had legos way back then! Awesome! ;)
Post a Comment